We Love Oregon!
Each year ICI hosts students from Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, Japan for a unique, 2-week intercultural communication/cultural immersion program called We Love Oregon! Students participate in intercultural communication classes led by world-class faculty and experiential learning activities throughout the Portland area.
- Walking tours of downtown Portland
- Trips to local museums
- Tours of corporate headquarters
- Visits to Portland’s famous food carts and restaurants
- Exploring Timberline Lodge, Multnomah Falls, and Mt. Hood
- Excursions to Cannon Beach, Oregon
- Home visits with our extensive group of ICI friends and family
- River cruises on the Columbia River
- Visits to local universities and schools
- Trips to local berry farms and pie-making classes
- Shopping at local markets
- Evening firework shows on the river
This year’s classes were led by Jack Condon, Ph.D. who is regarded as one of the founders of the intercultural field. Students completed projects related to their areas of interest. Some projects included ethnographic analysis of Portland’s coffee culture, comparative studies on American and Japanese family life, and studies on bicycle and outdoor culture in Oregon.
In addition to experiencing a life changing adventure, students also made measureable gains in intercultural competence according to the Intercultural Effectiveness Scale (IES). The assessment was completed by students both before and after the program.